Carolyn’s Victoria Sponge Recipe
This simplest of sponge cake recipes has a fresh berry and whipped cream filling that takes the classic Victoria sponge to new heights.
- 4 eggs
- 300g sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 200g flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon. salt
- 250 ml JUST MILK
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 120 g softened butter (for the butter cream)
- 300 g icing sugar (for the butter cream)
- Jam of your choice
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and flour the bottom only of 2 20cm dia cake tins
- In a large bowl, beat eggs until appearance is thick and lemony. Beat in sugar and vanilla
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually stir flour mixture into egg mixture
- In a saucepan, bring the JUST MILK and butter to a boil. Remove from heat and add all the hot milk mixture to batter mixture. Stir until well combined
- Pour mixture into prepared cake tins, using a spatula to get remaining batter out of bowl, and to spread batter evenly
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cream the butter in a bowl using the back of a wooden spoon. Keep stirring until it’s of a creamy consistency. Add 280g of the icing sugar a spoonful at a time, continuing to cream the butter between each spoonful, until all the sugar has been thoroughly mixed in.