Life in a Cumbrian Village

Our History, St Mary's Church

St Mary’s Church Cumwhitton

St Mary’s Church. Partly C12, rebuilt early C19. Dressed and rubble red sandstone walls on chamfered plinth and with raised quoins; sandstone and with slate roof. Slender 3-storey west square tower/porch; 3-bay nave has north aisle; 2-bay chancel has north vestry. Early C19 tower has plank doors and semicircular fanlight with intersecting tracery: external stone steps to side door to ringing chamber: clock to west face: pyramidal roof has weather vane dated 1961. Nave has partly medieval walls: filled south door has C19 window with round head, reused zigzag decorated stone to left: former square headed window right now with round head. Wall sundial; small C19 circular window to right.

North aisle has 2 C19 small round-headed windows with earlier window to left. Chancel has small pointed lancet to north wall and tripartite C19 east window; lower courses are probably medieval. Interior: aisle arcade of 3 bays has C12 round columns and arches; plain octagonal bowl font is dated 1662.

Fittings and furnishings are late C19 or early C20. Stained glass window by L.C. Evetts, 1962.